Monday, May 01, 2006

You know....feathers, no dots.....

Posted by Picasa

And what a perfect weekend for a road trip to Charleston. It was Beck-yeah's 30th birthday, so Robert and I headed east on I-20 for a celebratory birthday at the beach. Here's how it all went down....

The trip to Charleston is lengthy, but we managed to spend the time listening to music and catching up on gossip. the only problem was that we were on two very different elimination schedules, so we had to stop at just about every rest area along the way. plus there was dinner of course, so we didn't roll into Charleston until 10pm. the house out on Folly Beach was cute, small, and very "lakehouseish" with a lovely display of empty yellow tail wine bottles above the kitchen cabinets. I didn't care as we were right on the beach and only had to pay $50 for the weekend, thanks to Becky's landlord.

so it was off to Art's Bar and Grill where we arrived to a live band playing covers from the 80s and 90s. I think we walked in right as they were playing the cure - just like heaven. and it was clear that we were the most sober people there. at one point i looked down to see a miniature version of Weird Al Yankovich dancing next to me that we nicknamed "the hobbit" as he was about 4 feet tall.

Saturday morning we walked down the The Lost Dog cafe for a fantastic brunch. This place was very cute, reminding me of a Sigma Nu-infused Zim's Bagel Bakery in Athens. Just the right amount of frat boy and granola and some of the cutest boys on the island. The biscuits with sausage gravy was the best thing served and we left feeling very full.

The rest of the afternoon was spent on the deck out in the sun. With temps in the upper 70s and not a cloud in the sky, I couldn't imagine a better place to be. I did apply sunscreen twice, only failing to properly cover my receding hair line and ears, which provides for a fairly unattractive sunburn. Becky's roommates joined us arriving with iced down beer, a video IPOD with portable speakers, and some of the funniest stories I have heard in years. I mean these girls talk more openly about their bowel, bladder, and sexual habits than the other nurses I work with at the hospital. and to think that they are all members of the Junior League in Charleston is humorous. I learned about "frottage", "shittythongs", and "winter bush", all terms I was unfamiliar with so I found it necessary to educate them about FUPAs and Paulding County specials.

Becky's birthday dinner Saturday night was held at a lovely restaurant downtown named Cypress. We were in a back room with about 35 of her close friends and coworkers. The arugula salad was delicious, but the service was very slow, and I got cranky when my entree came out at 10:30pm. plus I think i chose poorly as I picked the seared tuna instead of having a filet, the latter of which was superior in taste. we later had drinks at Pearl's where Edward McCuterton joined us (remember, the boy who sold me the coach watch on my last visit?) and I witnessed Becky take nearly 5 shots within a 45 minute time period. One of which was a straight shot of bourbon....yuck. I thought one outgrows shots once they turn 21 but I could be wrong... but she held her liquor that night and I don't even think she was with diane on sunday. who knows, she could have had TRD, aka Time Release Diane, but i will have to get back to you on that one.

After lunch at the Kickin's chickin' on Sunday, we said our goodbyes and headed back west. This time, we only stopped once and made the trip in just over 4 hours. only to arrive back in atlanta to temps in the 50s.

Happy Birthday Becky!

No comments: