Thursday, March 03, 2005

Or So the Story Goes

Well, I finally have my Jeep back. Did I tell you how much the repairs cost? A mere $851, but I'm not complaining, as it beats taking MARTA. Now there is a joke. As I stood on the street corner Wednesday morning in the 30 degree weather, watching all the hot construction men (and I mean men) going to work on the new tower of glass aka 'Spire', I realized how much I appreciated having a car. Now MARTA is SUPPOSED to run up and down Peachtree Street, with a bus arriving every 8 minutes. That was not the case Wednesday morning. After waiting for 40 minutes, I jumped on the first available bus, only to find it stops at Art Center Station only to go back downtown. To make a long and boring story short, I arrived late for work, and I left my condo over 60 minutes in advance. I shoulda just walked I guess, woulda been faster.

I found myself in an interesting conversation today at work with one of the vendors. We were discussing whether or not heart disease spans all socioeconomic backgrounds, as I have found in my experience that it is predominately uneducated patients from more rural and underdeveloped areas. That is not to say that we don't find the occasional Buckhead Betty with a blockage in her heart, or the occasional Ansley queen (though most of the gay guys are related to spasm from guess what? ....too much meth aka 'Linda' on the weekends). The majority of the patients who come to us are from the N. Georgia mountains, or Douglasville, or even better, Dallas. I call them "Paulding County specials". They normally have a high "tooth to tattoo ratio", nicotine stains between the first two fingers from their 3-4 ppd smoking habit, and are in very poor dental health. Now I know it isn't my place to judge these people. What I did identify was the lack of health education these people receive. Many still have the mentality that if you don't go to the doctor, or are never in the hospital, then you are healthy. What happened to preventative medicine? I guess we just need better community health resources and education, but I start to wonder if this will ever help. Okay, now I shall move on.

Turns out my favorite tune, Harry Peat - Affrodizziac, set to be released this past Tuesday, has been put on hold once again. I almost think it may never happen, but Jody over at Alternative Route is setting me up the the white label. It's gonna rock and shall make my next CD.

The new impulse is coming, and promises to be a lot of fun. Check out our website, for Thump! More info to come.

No comments: