Wednesday, December 07, 2005

Tell me lies, tell me sweet little lies

I guess it was about six months ago when I decided to get a home phone. you know, one of those voice-over-IP things. seems it is all the rage with the kids these days. and it has worked out well until about one month ago, when I came home from work to find there was no dial tone. And it wasn't until yesterday that I finally got around to making a service call. Now customer service is very important to me. It seems that everywhere I go I just get apathy and attitude, whether I am at the Drive-Thru (take that Erik), the bank, or the parking deck at the gym. So when I placed the call to PurDigital Media yesterday to report my service outage, I was shocked to find a very friendly and helpful voice on the other line. The customer service representative said, "we will send someone out to your condo tomorrow, and I will place special instructions on your work order for the technician to replace your ATA box and make a call from you home phone to your cell phone to make sure it is working properly". I was shocked. What a novel idea! I hung up the phone very satisfied.

On the way to work this morning, I left a key release at the concierge. And I went about my daily business of stomping out heart disease. It was a very busy day with all the paulding county specials and moist FUPAs. So I arrive home this evening to find that yes, indeed, the ATA box has been replaced with a new one. (which is much bigger I might add, but that is beside the point). And sitting on the counter is the work order, and in the "notes" section are the aforementioned "special instructions". I go over and pick up the receiver..... to find, once again, no dial tone. Nothing. nada. I tried to troubleshoot the situation, but the line is still.....dead. Now it may just be that the phone is broken, though it is brand new. But what about a call from the technician? Did he or she even check to see if the new ATA box was working? I have gone from completely satisfied to utterly frustrated.

1 comment:

E said...

It's a lesson I learned a long time ago:

Never. Trust. Anybody.

Except me.