Friday, April 22, 2005

Wheezy McWheezerton

So I made it through the 5000+ pollen count days without a problem..until now. When i woke up Monday morning, I noticed that my throat was a bit scratchy. I went about my regular work week of catching up on needed sleep, going to the gym, and trying to eat healthy foods. Then yesterday came and everything came to a standstill. I was congested, and coughing incessantly. My throat was raw from all of the coughing. So, I visited my doctor whose office is upstairs at Piedmont. "Sunshine", the woman who works the Nurseline, told me to come up immediately, as they had an opening. (It always helps to tell them that you work in the hospital for future reference).

My doctor is gay, and a good friend. He sat down and we chatted for a minute about what is going on in each other's lives. Then he started his assessment, which last all of 3 minutes. He told me my throat was red, but he didn't see any visible pustules. He decided it would be best to go ahead and test me for strep throat anyway. He pulled out the 10 inch Q-tip and proceeded to swab the back of my throat and uvula several times.

He says "This is really going to test your gag reflex". I reply, "Go for it". Now, I admit I wanted to gag a few times, but I didn't. I held back. When he finished, he replied "You are pretty good at that". I just smiled and said "I have had a little practice". We both laughed and he went to finish the test. This was very humorous to me, as I wouldn't ever have had this incident occur if my doctor were straight.

Turns out, I don't have step throat. And all I was sent home with was an inhaler. But I still feel like shit. Plus, I had to cancel my DJ lesson with the Assistant. Damn. Oh well, the weekend is upon us.

No comments: