Monday, May 16, 2005

And the jam is pumping, look at it get the crowd jumpin'

well, well, well....I didn't wake up this morning with gin on my breath, but possibly a tish' of regret. But, it was all fun. Let's rewind.

Friday evening Bret and I gathered at my place for cocktails and conversation. We needed to catch up, and that we did. Cliff and Steve FINALLY made it to my condo after a 30 minute elevator ride (in the wrong tower I might add), and we decided to walk over to Acapulco for some dinner and margaritas. The food was just fine and the service was excellent. I am a really big on service, even if the food is mediocre. It can make or break a dining experience in my opinion. After a couple of pitchers and some enchiladas, we walked back to my place for a drink, then headed to Blake's to meet up with Erik. Erik was nowhere to be found, and the crowd in Blake's was not doing it for me. Since it was a beautiful evening, we decided to take our chances and walk over to WetBar. Well, there were about five people in the entire place, and so we left. What has happened to Atlanta nightlife? I can remember when people would line up in front of this bar before Midnight, everyone dressed in the latest 4you and FCUK shirts, ready to drink and mingle. I am afraid those days are gone.

Chris and I had lunch on Saturday and in the afternoon I visited with some old friends. Stopped by Todd and Brad's house for an afternoon margarita and a bite of pizza. They moved that morning to a fabulous house in Ansley, and it was a beautiful day to celebrate the move.

Saturday night brought the return of Roger Sanchez to Eleven50. Jeffrey, Brad, Anthony, Kelli, and Holger all came over for a drink, and after much failed persuasion, it was just three of us that ventured out. When we arrived, we were greeted by a line of 30 people that was not moving. Turns out, the fire marshall was inside, doing an inspection (at 12:30am on a Saturday night no less), and the hot straight bouncers were not letting anyone in. After standing in line for almost 25 minutes, the fire marshall left, and we scooted inside. The club was filled with a nice mix of gay and straight, and the music was great. Having never heard Roger live, I wasn't sure what to expect. Well, he delivered a great set, what I would probably call Hard House, but not really that progressive. Highlights for me included a great remix of Holmes Ives "8 letter", Harry Choo Choo Romero's "Back in the Day", and DONS featuring Technotronic "pump up the Jam" - Gians crowd in jumpin' mix. Though some may say this song is tired and overplayed, this mix really had the crowd in Eleven50 going nuts, and the energy was awesome. I have heard it was a big tune at the Winter Music Conference in Miami back in March.

And then there was Sunday. Not knowing what the weather was going to do...you know the generalizms of "AM clouds, PM sun" was just not convincing me. So, I decided to set up inside at Shout, and that turned out to be a great idea. Though the crowd wasn't as large as expected (I am sure the weather had something to do with this), we had a real real good time. The assistant made his appearance as well as a special appearance by Baton Bob. The rain ended, the sun came out, and I finished off a decent set. Highlight included goodbye kiss from the damn assistant.

Next, came dinner at Zocalo, more drinks at Blakes, and some Kwality time with Erik. And another great weekend has come to a close.

No comments: