Tuesday, November 21, 2006

a case of mistaken identity.......

i don't know why I find this story to be so damn funny. in fact, it is probably my favorite story at this moment. and writing about it doesn't do it any justice, but here goes...

i meet my parents at Houston's at Lenox for lunch this past saturday. we have an excellent meal (as usual) and just like clockwork, mom and dad ordered the same thing they always do. anyway, as we get ready to leave, dad insists on giving his valet ticket first, as he wanted me to see his new car. And as we were standing there waiting for our respective cars to arrive, and beautiful BMW convertible pulls up, and a very attractive african american couple step out. Being obsessed with teeth and all, i immediately recognized those shiny veneers to the ones belonging to 11Alive's Brenda Wood. And boy did she look great. so i made the comment to first my mom, and then my dad, to take note of this "celebrity sighting".

you have to understand, my parents are in their mid to late 60s, so I have found they spend more and more time watching the local news and the weather channel. and to my parents, this sighting is similar to me spotting Michael Stipe in Athens when i was in college.

so my dad gets real real excited, as Mrs. Wood is approaching and says in his Claxton southern Twang, "well, Hey There! Brenda Wood! How are ya?".

To which Brenda responds in a slightly irritated voice, "It's Amanda......" and her husband finishes with "......Davis." I was mortified, and don't know what I would have done if it had been me to actually say that out loud. But Dad quickly got over it and was eager to show me his new car.....

I mean, i didn't mean to set my dad up and just "Sweep him under the bus" as joel would say. I am the one who misidentified this local celebrity. But knowing my dad so well, i was laughing out loud in the car all the way home.

No comments: